12 Worlds Dragonscape
Hit Die: d6
Base Attack Bonus: Bad (as Wizard)
Good Save: Will
Bad Saves: Fortitude, Reflex
Skill Points Per Level: 2+INT
Class Skills: Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, History, Nature, Planes), Perform, Profession, Speak Language, Spellcraft
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Wu Jen are not proficient with any form of armor or shield. Furthermore, wearing armor or carrying a shield may cause the Wu Jen’s spells to fail. The Wu Jen is proficient with all simple weapons and with the longsword.
Level 1-Bonus Feat, Spirit – Watchful Spirit, Spellcasting
- Bonus Feat: At level one, a Wu Jen may select a bonus metamagic feat. She must meet all the prerequisites for this feat.
- Spirit: A Wu Jen’s mystical connection to the world of magic grants her a Spirit Guardian to watch over her. She may call on the Spirit a number of times per day equal to half her class level plus her Intelligence modifier (rounded down, minimum once per day).
- Watchful Spirit: As a free action, a Wu Jen may spend 1 spirit to reroll her initiative in combat, adding one-quarter her class level to the roll (rounded down). This reroll is a free action but can only be attempted immediately after rolling initiative. The Wu Jen may choose to use the result of either roll, but the class level bonus only applies to the second roll.
- Spellcasting: A Wu Jen has the ability to cast Arcane spells taken from the Sorceror/Wizard spell list. In order to learn or cast a spell, the Wu Jen must have an Intelligence score equal to the spell’s level plus ten. Any save DCs of a Wu Jen spell is determined by her Intelligence modifier. In addition, a Wu Jen gains bonus spells per day for having a high Intelligence modifier.
- A Wu Jen must prepare her spells in advance like a wizard and requires 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep in order to regain her spent spells.
- A Wu Jen may cast only so many spells each day. Use Table 4-14 (The Wizard) to determine how many spells of each level a Wu Jen can cast each day.
- A Wu Jen knows all 0 level spells and five level 1 spells at level 1 and learns three new spells from the Sorceror/Wizard list at each level that can be applied to any spell level known.
- Unlike a Wizard, a Wu Jen remembers her spells through a system of complicated mnemonics instead of with a spellbook, and cannot add to her list of spells known with scrolls.
Level 2-Exotic Learning (1st Level)
- Exotic Learning: At every even class level, the Wu Jen gains a special list of spells known to reflect her exotic approach to the wiles of magic. Each time a Wu Jen gains this class feature, she may select a number of spells from the Wu Jen spell list (Complete Arcane) equal to her Intelligence modifier. These are called Exotic Spells. Exotic spells may of the level indicated by the class feature or lower.
- Exotic Spells are not prepared and cast, but are cast spontaneously out of the Wu Jen’s normal spell slots, exactly as a Cleric spontaneously casts cure or inflict spells.
- In addition, a Wu Jen may choose to specialize in one of the five elements. If she does so, she must forbid 2 other elements, never learning any Exotic Spells from either (though she may learn them and prepare them as her normal spells if they appear on the Sorceror/Wizard list). If she does so, the Wu Jen gains one additional spell slot per day per spell level that cannot be filled with a prepared spell. She may only use this slot to cast Exotic Spells from her element of specialization.
- If a Wu Jen’s Intelligence score increases later, she does not retroactively learn new Exotic Spells.
Level 3- (nothing)
Level 4-Exotic Learning (2nd level)
Level 5-Wrathful Spirit
- Wrathful Spirit: Starting at level 5, a Wu Jen may call to her Spirit Guardian for aid in the potency of her spells. As a Swift action, a Wu Jen may spend up to 1/5th her level in Spirit to raise the DC of the next spell she casts by an equal amount. If she does not cast a spell by the beginning of her next turn, the Spirit is lost with no effect.
Level 6-Exotic Learning (3rd Level)
Level 8-Exotic Learning (4th Level)
Level 9-Protective Spirit
- Protective Spirit: Starting at level 9, a Wu Jen’s Spirit Guardian takes a more active roll in her safety. Whenever she spends a Spirit to reroll her iniative, she gains a +1 circumstance bonus to her saving throws for the remainder of the encounter. Whenever she uses her Wrathful Spirit class feature she gains a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class until the beginning of her next turn.
Level 10-Exotic Learning (5th Level)
Level 12-Exotic Learning (6th Level)
Level 13-Vengeful Spirit
- Vengeful Spirit: Starting at level 13, a Wu Jen’s Spirit Guardian becomes vicious in its defense of its master. When a Wu Jen is struck by a weapon attack (including natural weapons), she may spend 3 Spirit to make a touch attack (melee or ranged, whichever type of attack is required to reach the attacker) against her attacker. On a successful hit, the Wu Jen deals damage to the target equal to 1d6 per two class levels. A successful Fortitude save (DC=10+1/2 Wu Jen Class level+INT modifier) halves this damage.
Level 14-Exotic Learning (7th Level)
Level 16-Exotic Learning (8th Level)
Level 17-Fortuitous Spirit
- Fortuitous Spirit: Starting at level 17, the Wu Jen’s Spirit Guardian gains the ability to warp fate in favor of his ward. As an immediate action, a Wu Jen may spend 2 Spirit to reroll a saving throw, adding one-quarter her class level to the roll. She may choose either result, but the class level bonus applies only to the reroll. She must decide to use this reroll before she knows whether her save has succeeded or failed.